Monday, January 19, 2015

The Assassin's Blade | Sarah J. Maas


Celaena Sardothien is Adarlan's most feared assassin. As part of the Assassin's Guild, her allegiance is to her master, Arobynn Hamel, yet Celaena listens to no one and trusts only her fellow killer-for-hire, Sam. In these action-packed novellas - together in one edition for the first time - Celaena embarks on five daring missions. They take her from remote islands to hostile deserts, where she fights to liberate slaves and seeks to avenge the tyrannous. But she is acting against Arobynn's orders and could suffer an unimaginable punishment for such treachery. Will Celaena ever be truly free?

Again I am blown away by this series. The writing in these novellas was phenomenal and I got more of a sense behind Celaena and her backstory while also completely intrigued by the action. There's so little I have to say about this book other than the fact that it was incredible. Honestly I am utterly speechless. 

I'm not sure in what order, people typically read this series, so if you haven't read Throne of Glass yet I wouldn't read of this review because there are several spoilers that I quickly want to talk about. 


Spoiler-Filled Discussion
I am absolutely in love in Sam. I knew he was going to die from the beginning, but their banter and their love/ hate relationship was fantastic. Everything in the last novella seemed like a bad idea and him going on his own was the worst and I just... ugh. I cried when he died. 


In these novella Celaena really reminded me of Katniss. She's so incredibly independent and sassy and kick butt, but still has values of her own (especially during the whole slave trade thing). And she frequently gets so caught up with saving the world and doing her job, she doesn't think about the little things like romances. Also they both have metaphorical fortresses built around that to attack anyone who attempts to come near them. 

I'm just really excited to read more of the series. I don't know if I ship her with anyone anymore, I can't trust anything after Sam died. Also she's so perfect on her own... *mid-life crisis ensues because I'm not Celaena Sardothien* 



No comments:

Post a Comment