Friday, December 26, 2014

India: The Time I Started Daily Blogging (Sorta)

Ok, bear with me guys.

I want to try something different. And this may or may not work, but I'm going to experiment with it anyways. So basically, my family and I took a trip to India for pretty much the entire month of January and I really want to document this experience for some reason, so I'm just gonna try blogging about it, writing things that happened every day and thoughts and whatnot. This might be really boring or it might end up really cool I honestly have no idea, but yeah if you guys wanna keep reading that would be cool, and if not that's cool too. I'm still reading (I brought like 4 books here) and I'm still gonna write reviews though they probably won't be up until I get back.

So anyways...here's day 1?

This isn't the first time I've been to India and it won't be the last, but for some reason this trip feels monumental somehow. Maybe it's the first time I'm paying attention to the things around me, maybe I'm wiser and older and see things differently, I don't know.

India is one of the many places where the driver sits on the right but drives on the left side of the road, something that, as a new driver, really really throws me off. Also, drivers find it appropriate to excessively honk at each other.

"I want to pass you" *honk*
"You're driving too slow" *honk*
"I want to turn." *honk*
"I'm driving." *honk*

The backs of trunks actually say "Horn ok please" like they actually want you to honk at them. What? Also lanes of traffic don't exist. In most places, except maybe the highway, you can drive wherever you want in whichever direction you want. #safety

My experience with bathrooms in India has never been a pleasant one. I remember when toilets weren't a thing and I had to use one of the 'hole-in-ground' toilets. Those were some dark times. Regardless of the actual toilet, Indians also don't use toilet paper. Born and raised in America where toilet paper is abundant in every home and family, this experience is slightly jarring. Thankfully, we typically get temporary portable rolls for our stay but the first couple of days are usually the worst.

I'm going to be completely honest with you. Here I feel as though people see me as the "American spoiled brat." I try not to complain. I try to go along with the traditional Indian lifestyle, but it's the little things that are hard to adapt to. The little things like toilet paper that we've taken for granted. But is it really my fault? The fact that I grew up accustomed to certain things doesn't necessarily make me "spoiled", does it?

While India does have some drawbacks, of course not everything about it is uncomfortable and foreign. For example, the food here is amazing. I'm not sure where Americans got the stereotypes of eating the greasiest and unhealthiest foods because I can tell you for a fact that India fries pretty much everything. But it's still so good. So far today I've just eaten and been contemplative and it only 11 (already a more productive day than I've had in America), let's see where the rest of the day takes us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment