Saturday, December 20, 2014

The Death Cure | James Dashner


It’s the end of the line.

WICKED has taken everything from Thomas: his life, his memories, and now his only friends—the Gladers. But it’s finally over. The trials are complete, after one final test.

Will anyone survive?

What WICKED doesn’t know is that Thomas remembers far more than they think. And it’s enough to prove that he can’t believe a word of what they say.


The truth will be terrifying.


Thomas beat the Maze. He survived the Scorch. He’ll risk anything to save his friends. But the truth might be what ends it all. 

The time for lies is over.


I can't express how disappointed I am with this series. While the first and second books set pretty high standards, the third and final book completely fell under what I expected. Although for the other books I did a mostly non-spoiler review, for the concluding book I'm going to go into an in-depth spoiler filled review. If you haven't read the series, I really recommend the first book, but after that, for me at least, the series just went downhill. 


Spoiler-Filled Review

I promise I'm not trying to be harsh or anything, there just seemed to be so much missing from this book. In fact, there were several reasons why I didn't like this book. 

Reason #1: Character Deaths
When a character dies, I should feel something. I should feel sad or angry or something! But when both Newt and Teresa died, I felt nothing. Their deaths were quick, easy and overlooked. I feel like part of the problem rooted from the very first book. I felt like we were never emotionally introduced to the characters, and then we were constantly thrown back and forth between trusting them and not, so at one point I just gave up on them. Teresa's death especially felt like a way to get rid of her so Thomas could be with Brenda, which leads me to my next problem. 

Reason #2: Brenda or Teresa? 
Neither of the girls had a majorly important role in the grand scheme of the story. They both just seemed like a bad attempt at a love triangle. While Thomas was with Brenda, he still missed Teresa and vice versa. I hated that we never learned anything about Brenda. At the end of the book I still have no idea who she was or what role she really had. There were slight mentions of her past, but we never learned everything, yet another reason why we should have gotten more perspectives.

Reason #3: The "Real" World
In the first book we got a glimpse of WICKED and the outside world. The one consumed by sun flares and disease, and while we did get more of a glimpse in the following books, I feel like we never got a full explanation of the past. How did the sun flares begin? I'm assuming they didn't just randomly start, some type of action had to incite it. I want to know! 

Reason #4: The Ending
Ok what was that ending? They began working with the Right Arm and then like two pages later they're like nope jk we're gonna go on our own. Then they make it out as the building is explodes. They go through a trans flat to a green world of paradise and it's over. Happily Ever After The End. Uhm...what? Where did that world come from? What do you plan to do after? 

While I was disappointed with most of the book, there were a few things I did like. I thought it was interesting that in order to save everyone they had to go back into the maze, which I thought was an interesting full circle. But other than that I was overall really disappointed. 

If you shared the same emotions, let's rant together in the comments! If you liked the last book let me know what your favorite part was! 


No comments:

Post a Comment