Saturday, September 27, 2014

16 Things I Learned at the Age of 16

Hey guys!

In honor of my birthday, I decided to make a post summing up the sixteen things I learned while being sixteen. As young as that is, a lot of the experiences I've had have has really shaped the way I think and I really wanted to share that with you guys!
Disclaimer: Superwoman's video for her 26th birthday inspired this post.

1. People suck.


There's thousands and thousands of fantastic people in this world. Those that will support you, comfort you, and encourage you every step of the way. And then there are those who want to see you fall, who'll smile every time they see you fail. The best thing to do is ignore them, cut them out of your life, because if they aren't having a positive effect in your life, they aren't worth your time.

2. Do what you love and love what you do.


I read because I love it. I volunteer because I love it. There's little I do in my life (with the exception of homework) that I do in my life that I dislike.

3. Don't worry about what other people think. 


I'm frequently made fun of for my love for reading. People find it 'strange' that I read books meant for 'little kids'. And while I try to separate my school/work life from my blogging life, I realized that I don't really care. Why does it matter that my classmates found my YouTube Channel and my blog? If anything, it's just one more subscriber.

4. Always make an effort to be nice.


It doesn't matter if you like the person or hate the person, just don't be outright mean to them. You don't have to deeply engage in conversation with them, but don't be rude. Because as soon as one person thinks you're rude, it spreads like a wildfire and before you know it, everyone thinks you're rude.

5. People think based on what they see, not what actually is.


Somewhat related to the above bullet. If you're mean or rude to someone, most likely they aren't going to stop and think about why. They aren't going to reason with themselves and say 'oh he must be having a difficult home life' or 'her aunt just died'. They're going to notice that you've been mean to them, and thus think negatively of you.

6. How to wink.


For the longest time I couldn't wink. My wink consisted of several facial twitches. But finally I have mastered the art of winking. Hallelujah.

7. How to kiss up to your teachers.


While a lot of your grade is about how well you know the material, etc. Grades are biased. The grading system changes per teacher and the best way to put yourself in favor of the A is to be on the good side of the teacher. Act interested, sit in the front, ask questions. Make sure your teacher knows you exist.

8. Wearing makeup and dressing nice isn't a bad thing.


For so much of my life I've always viewed makeup as something 'bad' used only by 'fake' people to make themselves prettier. But I never realized how a tiny bit of foundation or eyeliner just boosts my own self-confidence.

9. It's ok to be upset every once in a while.


I'm not weak if I cry. I'm not weak if I'm just not as happy and excited as I normally am. No, I'm not mad. Yes, I am fine. Getting upset is not a bad thing every once in a while. Sometimes stress is overwhelming, sometimes you're just not having a good day, and that's perfectly fine. Just spend a little time alone, calm yourself down, and get your mind off of whatever is triggering that emotion.

10. Always check the weather BEFORE getting dressed. 


There have been way too many times where I've ended up wearing pants in 100 degree weather and shorts in 50 degree weather. I've regretted it every time.

11. Senior year is not as relaxing as it's made out to be. 


When people say that senior year of high is the easiest...yeah no. Unless you're taking classes like 'The Art of Baking' senior year will be difficult. You'll have the typical schoolwork on top of the stress of college applications along with any other testing you might have to make up. Right now, I'm taking Calc I, General Physics I, and English Comp. II and there are tests and homework assignments due every couple of days, leaving me little free time for reading and college apps.

12. I love art class. 


This year is also the first time I get to take an art course during high school. And I absolutely love it! Painting, drawing, coloring. Sometimes I wish I could have art all day.

13. Apparently I'm pretty good at ping pong? 


Everywhere I go, people say I'm pretty good at ping pong, although I claim I barely play it. My dad's good at ping pong, maybe I inherited his ping pong genes.

14. When people say they're going to 'keep in touch' and ask for your number, they really don't plan on using it. 


This is probably the single most annoying thing someone can do. In several different places (camp, vacation, etc.) I've met a bunch of people whom I've exchanged numbers with and have really wanted to stay in touch with. After texting them a few times, it'll become obvious that they have busier lives and have little to no interest in talking to me, so the conversation dies out. And then there are those people who take the initiative to ask you for your number and then never use it... why? It's probably one of the most confusing things ever.

15. Chapstick is God. 


I love Chapstick, nuff said.

16. Work is the best medicine. 


This might be something unique to me, but working relaxes me. Knowing I'm getting stuff done and will have free time after is calming and motivating. Also, when I'm upset, focusing on something like math or english will calm me down and make me forget about any emotions I had. 

No comments:

Post a Comment