Saturday, May 3, 2014

Landline | Rainbow Rowell


When Georgie McCool tells her husband she can't spare the time away from work to visit his family at Christmas, she never expects him to pack up the kids and go without her. 
Maybe she should have expected that. Maybe Neal, who's always a little bit mad at Georgie, has finally had enough. Alone with her memories and unsure of their future, Georgie discovers a way to communicate with Neal in the past. It's not time travel, not exactly, but it might be an opportunity to fix her marriage before it starts... But what if Georgie and Neal would be better off if they never got married at all.

Non-Spoiler Review


This is an adult book by Rainbow Rowell, the author of Fangirl and Eleanor & Park, in which the main character, Georgie McCool, is kind of a workaholic and tells her husband that she can't go on vacation to Omaha because of work. Adamantly, he takes the kids to Omaha anyways, and Georgie is left wondering what the state of their marriage is. She continually tries to call him and eventually reaches him...from 1998. Now it's her job to figure out how she can fix her marriage.
This is the first adult book I've read by her, and honestly it didn't really seem like an adult book. It wasn't unrelatable, I was able to put myself in Georgie's shoes and it didn't seem out of place. Rainbow Rowell's writing flows so well and makes the book really easy to read. I really would recommend this anyone! I was lucky enough to get an ARC of this book, but I'll leave links to where you can preorder the book down below, it gets released July 8th! 

Spoiler- Filled Review


There was so much about this book that I loved: the characters, the writing, the dialogue.
I've heard a lot of reviews from other teens that they weren't able to get into the book primarily because they couldn't connect with the characters, but personally I saw so much of myself in Georgie. Basic characteristics like overthinking, overworking, being more selfish than you know you should be. Of course I have no idea what it's like to be married, but with so many personal traits in common, it wasn't hard to put myself in her place. Another character I really liked was Seth. He was so free-spirited and exciting, and he was just a really fun character to read about. 
Honestly, I really didn't like Neal. His personality wasn't appealing to me. I admit, he had his moments, but overall I had a general distaste towards him..although part of that may have been because he reminded me of someone that I know in real life. 

My favorite thing in this book was the writing and dialogue. There's several separate time periods Rainbow Rowell writes in, depicting different events of Georgie and Neal's relationship, and many times the different timings overlap and get all muddled, but there was such a good flow to the story and how it was told. The dialogue was so perfect! I was laughing so much while reading this book because of small one-liners that characters said. One example: "I love you more than I hate everything else." Something about this quote made me laugh so hard. 

There was one thing that bothered me about this book: the ending. This is the second consecutive book that has left unanswered questions for me. Thankfully, this wasn't as bad as Requiem, but I still had some questions. First of all, what happened to Seth? He just proclaimed his love for Georgie and then that was it, we saw no more of him. Secondly, it was never explained how exactly the phone worked. This wasn't completely crucial information, but the rational part of my brain just wanted to know, y'know? 

That's what I thought of the book! For those of you that read it, what did you guys think? Let me know in the comments! 

Here are the links to preorder the book: 

No comments:

Post a Comment